158 killed as plane crashes at Mangalore
Govind Belgaumkar & Sudipto Mondal
Air India Express flight from Dubai overshoots runway, plunges into valley; 8 survive miraculously
MANGALORE: An Air India Express plane from Dubai overshot the table-top runway at the Mangalore airport on Saturday morning and plunged over a cliff into a wooded valley, killing 158 persons.
There were 160 passengers and six crew members on board Flight IX-812. The passengers included 137 adults, 19 children and 4 infants. Eight passengers survived miraculously.
The plane burst into flames after the crash, which occurred at 6.10 a.m. The captain of the flight, Z. Glusica, a British national of Serbian origin, and his co-pilot H.S. Ahluwalia are among the dead. Nine passengers did not board the flight, according to the manifest.
Mohammad Usman, a survivor, who was in seat no. 19 said: “I heard a horrible sound when the plane landed. Within a few seconds it caught fire and the flames spread inside. I crawled out from a crack near the left wing. I removed my seat belt in time and saved myself.”
Krishnan Koolikunnu, a survivor, has lunch at a hospital in Mangalore on Saturday.
Another survivor, Joel Prathap D'Souza, astounded airport officials when he turned up at the arrival wing for immigration formalities.
Fire tenders had a tough time reaching the inaccessible crash site. Residents of the nearby Kenjar village rose to the occasion, throwing themselves selflessly into the rescue work, carrying bodies out of the burning wreckage. Police said all 158 bodies were recovered by evening.
Reasons unclear
The reasons for the crash are as yet unclear. Minister of State for Civil Aviation Praful Patel said an enquiry by the Directorate-General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) had been ordered.
Sunday, May 23, 2010
10:21 AM
c.sunish
No comments
Related Posts:
No rail berth on half tickets from 22 April Doing away with this provision would vacate around 20 million seats, according to the Indian Railways Photo: Ramesh Pathania/Mint New Delhi: Under the reforms agenda, the Indian Railways has decided not to give berth … Read More
Bibek Debroy: What's in a name? A lot, actually Bibek Debroy March 25, 2016 Many years ago, my wife and I travelled on the Fairy Queen. For those who don't know, Fairy Queen is a famous steam locomotive, built in 1855. It was withdrawn from service in 19… Read More
Shocker for Railway employees! Face curb in Travelling and Over Time allowance Friday, March 25, 2016 Zee Media Bureau New Delhi: Struggling to put the finances of Indian Railways in order, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu is trying to curb the purse strings of the behemoth by cutting do… Read More
Sake, lounge on offer as Japan bullet train luxury takes on jets Bullet-train passenger numbers at 340 million last financial year were more than three times the figure for domestic air travellers Bloomberg March 26, 2016 Dinner with sake, an airport-like lounge and roomier s… Read More
FIR filed against railway officer SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT A first information report (FIR) has been registered against Ajeet Saxena, the Chief Commercial Manager of Southern Railway, at Flower Bazaar police station in connection with an incident earlier th… Read More
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment